The homeless service campus in San Antonio, Texas is a wonderful model Sacramento might consider emulating as it works to help people out of homelessness rather than enabling homelessness through the provision of services without asking for any reformative work to be done by the homeless in return (excluding use of the Housing First model, http://pathwaystohousing.org/our-model/ ), which unfortunately, describes the bulk of local homeless services in Sacramento at this time.
Here is some information about Haven for Hope from Shelter Listings.Org:
Haven for Hope is the largest, most comprehensive Homeless Transformation Campus in the U.S.A.
– Haven for Hope conducted a best practice study reviewing the homeless services in 12 states and over 200 shelter operations.
– The Haven for Hope Campus is made up of 15 Buildings, on 37 Acres, with almost a half a million square feet of service space under roof.
– Haven for Hope currently has a network of service provision with 78 non-profit and government Partner Agencies
– On any given night there will be roughly 1600 individuals residing on the Haven for Hope Campus.
– 25,000 people in San Antonio experience homelessness during each year in San Antonio.
– Between 3,500 and 4,500 individuals experience homelessness each night in San Antonio.
– 25% of the homeless are children, half of which are under age 5.
– Family homelessness in Texas has increased 15.9% since 2008.
– 23% of the homeless are Veterans.
– 60% of the homeless experience severe substance abuse and/or mental illness.
New Arrivals to Haven for Hope’s Transformational Campus and Prospects Courtyard Safe Sleeping Area are done on a walk-in basis.
To be eligible for our shelter and services you MUST:
Be homeless (Lacking a fixed, regular, and adequate nighttime residence) or be at immediate risk of homelessness
Be a resident of Bexar County with proof of residency
Proof of residency is a document that proves your status as a Bexar County resident; for example, tax documents, dated store receipts, library cards, etc.
Have government issued photo ID (such as a driver’s license, passport, military ID, or any state or federally issued photo ID) or be willing to obtain government issued photo ID within 30 days
Retrieved October 9, 2014 from http://www.shelterlistings.org/details/22351/
Haven for Hope home page http://www.havenforhope.org/new/
Haven for Hope Facebook https://www.facebook.com/havenforhope